About The Pantry…
The Food Pantry provides food items to eligible families from the communities we serve, who can visit every 14 days. We offer fresh fruits and vegetables, personal care items, deli choices, canned goods, bread, pastries, and meat. Volunteers stock the pantry shelves, run client intake, and assist each person in making selections through the pantry.
Last year, over 1000 households were served in the Food Pantry. In Brunswick alone, about 1 in 10 persons visited our pantry in 2016.
Is there a brochure of info available
Yes. You can get a copy of our current Food Pantry New Client Brochure at this link
What are the eligibility requirements of the Food Pantry?
- Must live in Brunswick, Topsham, Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Lisbon, Lisbon Falls, Durham, Harpswell, Bailey Island, Cundy’s Harbor, or Orr’s Island. If you do not live in this area, call United Way (dial 211) to find out where your local food pantry is.
- Your household’s nutritional needs are not being met due to an emergency situation or as demonstrated by your household’s established eligibility in one of the following:
- Elderly Low Cost Drug Program
- Elderly Tax and Rent Refund
- SNAP(formerly food stamps)
What should I bring with me to the Food Pantry?
- Proof of address: examples include a bill, lease, or other mail addressed to you.
To keep in mind
- If you forgot to bring the required documentation but are a first-time client, you will still be given a box of food! Just bring documentation with you on your next visit.
- Pantry clients can visit once every 14 days.
- If you have any food allergies, please make sure we know about them.
- We always appreciate it when clients bring reusable grocery bags to bag their food from the pantry. It helps us reduce our reliance on plastic.
- There are plenty of other services we provide, such as Food Mobiles, that you can also take advantage of.
Our mission is to help you. If you’re wondering about our services, have questions, or feel that there are ways for us to better meet your needs, just ask. Chances are we’re able to help get you what you need, either on-site or by providing a referral.
What about Thanksgiving Boxes?
2017 Thanksgiving Box Information
- No advance sign-up process, boxes will be available during your regular November Pantry visit
- Open to all individuals eligible for the MCHPP food pantry
- Boxes will be distributed during Food Pantry hours beginning November 1st, and ending November 22nd
- Boxes will include $10 gift cards and dry non-perishable bags of food (two canned veggies, stuffing, and gravy mix) along with potatoes, carrots, and squash through the pantry along with your first monthly visit of groceries